Logo Medical Science Monitor

Call: +1.631.470.9640
Mon - Fri 10:00 am - 02:00 pm EST

Contact Us

Logo Medical Science Monitor Logo Medical Science Monitor Logo Medical Science Monitor

21 October 2002

Alteplase: double bolus versus accelerated regimen.

Manuel Ruiz-Bailén, Eduardo Aguayo de Hoyos, Benjamín Hurtado-Ruiz, Antonio Reina-Toral, Miguel Angel Díaz-Castellanos, Ziad Issa-Khozouz

Med Sci Monit 2002; 8(10): PI85-92 :: ID: 4861


BACKGROUND: The purpose of our study was to compare the efficacy and safety of alteplase in acute myocardial infarction (AMI), when administered in a double bolus regimen or an accelerated regimen during admission to an intensive care or coronary care unit (ICU/CCU). MATERIAL/METHODS: A retrospective cohort study including all the AMI patients treated with alteplase recorded in the ARIAM register (Analysis of Delay in AMI), a multi-center register in which 77 Spanish hospitals participate. The study period was from January 1995 to January 2000. RESULTS: 4,615 AMI patients were studied. The accelerated regimen (Group I) was administered to 57.51% (2,654 patients) and the remaining 42.49% (1,961 patients) received the double bolus regimen (Group II). There were no differences in mortality or in the incidence of hemorrhagic stroke between the groups. The mortality was 7.15% in Group I versus 6.43% in Group II (not significant). The incidence of hemorrhagic stroke was 1.09% in Group I versus 1.22% in Group II (not significant). Fewer coronary angiographies were required in Group I (6.28% vs. 8.99%; p<0.001) and fewer rescue angioplasties (10.67% vs. 21.88%, p=0.03). Group I also showed a smaller requirement for stent insertion (2.45% vs. 4.77%; p<0.0001) and for assistance using intra-aortic balloon contrapulsation (0.47% vs. 1.36%; p=0.02). CONCLUSIONS: The two regimens appear to be similar in efficacy and safety. Nevertheless, from these results it may be hypothesized that further revascularization techniques are required after double bolus administration.

Keywords: Tissue Plasminogen Activator - administration & dosage, Tissue Plasminogen Activator - therapeutic use

Add Comment 0 Comments

439 2


01 May 2023 : Editorial  

Editorial: Twenty Years On from Sequencing the Human Genome, Personalized/Precision Oncology Prepares to Meet the Challenges of Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy

Dinah V. Parums
Science Editor, Medical Science Monitor, International Scientific Information, Inc., Melville, NY, USA

DOI: 10.12659/MSM.940911

Med Sci Monit 2023; 29:e940911


In Press

31 May 2023 : Review article  

Prevalence, Diagnosis, and Management of Eclampsia and the Need for Improved Maternal Care: A Review

Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.939919  

30 May 2023 : Clinical Research  

A Case-Control Study of Cognitive Function in Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease Before and After Hemodi...

Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.940409  

30 May 2023 : Review article  

A Review of the Role of the Zebrafish (Danio reiro) in Preclinical and Clinical Models of Biomarker Identif...

Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.940550  

30 May 2023 : Database Analysis  

The COVID-19 Crisis and the Incidence of Alcohol-Related Deaths in Poland

Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.940904  

Most Viewed Current Articles

13 Nov 2021 : Clinical Research  

Acceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...

DOI :10.12659/MSM.932788

Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e932788


30 Dec 2021 : Clinical Research  

Retrospective Study of Outcomes and Hospitalization Rates of Patients in Italy with a Confirmed Diagnosis o...

DOI :10.12659/MSM.935379

Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935379

08 Mar 2022 : Review article  

A Review of the Potential Roles of Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Pharmacological Approaches for the Man...

DOI :10.12659/MSM.936292

Med Sci Monit 2022; 28:e936292

01 Jan 2022 : Editorial  

Editorial: Current Status of Oral Antiviral Drug Treatments for SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Non-Hospitalized Pa...

DOI :10.12659/MSM.935952

Med Sci Monit 2022; 28:e935952

Your Privacy

We use cookies to ensure the functionality of our website, to personalize content and advertising, to provide social media features, and to analyze our traffic. If you allow us to do so, we also inform our social media, advertising and analysis partners about your use of our website, You can decise for yourself which categories you you want to deny or allow. Please note that based on your settings not all functionalities of the site are available. View our privacy policy.

Medical Science Monitor eISSN: 1643-3750
Medical Science Monitor eISSN: 1643-3750