01 August 2003
Autoimmune hepatitis in the material of Clinic and Regional Hospital of Infectious Diseases in GdańskZofia Michalska, Danuta Radowska, Piotr Stalke, Katarzyna Sikorska, Anna Lakomy, Krystyna Witczak-Malinowska, Alicja Bąkowska, Julian Stolarczyk, Hanna Trocha, Agnieszka Pawlak, Maciej Kowalik
Med Sci Monit 2003; 9(3): 49-54 :: ID: 428600
Background: The aim of the study was the analysis of patients with autoimmune hepatitis (AIH), with respect to diagnostics, clinical course and treatment, based on the material from the wards of infectious diseases.
Material/Methods: The study was carried out in the material of 106 AIH patients – 95 females aged 11-81 (mean age 46 years) and 11 males aged 8-73 (mean age 35 years).The diagnosis of AIH was based on international criteria, including biochemical investigations, autoantibodies, and liver tissue morphology. Serological investigations excluded hepatitis of viral etiology. Diagnostic procedures included also blood cell count, biochemical parameters of liver function with protein fractions, immunoassays (imunoglobulins, autoantibodies), according to commonly used methods. Liver biopsies were performed in 93 patients.Results: The clinical presentation mimicked acute viral hepatitis in 75% of cases, in the remaining 25% corresponded to chronic viral hepatitis. 26% had other coincident disorders of autoimmune etiology In 84% the initial stage of the disease was characterized with moderately severe course, in 11% - severe, 7% of the patients died – half of them at the initial stage of the disease. The following morphological patterns of hepatic abnormalities were observed: hepatitis chronica agresiva, fibrosis periportalis, hepatitis chronica agresiva in cirrhosim vertens, cirrhosis hepatis activa, hepatitis chronica persistens, hepatitis granulomatosa. Over 40% of patients demonstrated relapses of the disease due to discontinuation of treatment after obtaining clinical and biochemical remission. 51 patients were treated with glucocorticosteroid monotherapy, the same number with glucocorticosteroids combined with azathioprine, 1 female patient underwent liver transplantation. In nearly 30% of patients, the diagnosis of AIH was established after a period of persistence of pathologic symptoms of over a year. Conclusions: Late diagnoses of AIH indicate insufficient knowledge of the disease among physicians. The methods of treatment used in AIH are not sufficiently effective. Discontinuation of treatment should be preceded in each case by overall assessment of the pathologic process, including biochemical parameters, autoantibody level and liver histopathology.
Keywords: autoimmune hepatitis, Autoantibodies, Liver biopsy
01 June 2023 : EditorialEditorial: Infectious Disease Surveillance Using Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its Role in Epidemic and Pandemic Preparedness
Med Sci Monit 2023; 29:e941209
07 Jun 2023 : Review articleUltrasound-Guided Brachial Plexus Block by Costoclavicular Space Approach: A Narrative Review
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.939920
05 Jun 2023 : Clinical ResearchComparison of Texture and Color Enhancement Imaging with White Light Imaging in 52 Patients with Short-Segm...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.940249
05 Jun 2023 : Laboratory ResearchComparison of Composite Resin (Duo-Shade) Shade Guide with Vita Ceramic Shades Before and After Chemical an...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.940949
02 Jun 2023 : Database AnalysisThe COVID-19 Crisis and the Incidence of Alcohol-Related Deaths in Poland
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.940904
Most Viewed Current Articles
13 Nov 2021 : Clinical ResearchAcceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e932788
30 Dec 2021 : Clinical ResearchRetrospective Study of Outcomes and Hospitalization Rates of Patients in Italy with a Confirmed Diagnosis o...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935379
08 Mar 2022 : Review articleA Review of the Potential Roles of Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Pharmacological Approaches for the Man...
Med Sci Monit 2022; 28:e936292
01 Jan 2022 : EditorialEditorial: Current Status of Oral Antiviral Drug Treatments for SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Non-Hospitalized Pa...
Med Sci Monit 2022; 28:e935952